Friday, September 02, 2011

It's my party and I'll whine if I want to

I am 360 moons old, this month. 


I will also shortly be - much as I hate to admit it - entering my third decade. 

When my friends gasped and muttered in horror about turning 30 before me, I rolled my eyes and thought, "what's the diff? It's not a big deal..." I kinda always thought that once I got there, I'd be ready. As if turning 30 was an exam that my friends simply hadn't suitably swatted up for.

But now that I'm teetering on the edge of my... *choke*...  thirties (oh god!), I'm having a little minor freak out of my own. People in their thirties aren't allowed to skip and sing to themselves - unless they're on a day out from their asylum. 'Grown ups' are also apparently not supposed to spend hours entertaining themselves by blowing bubbles - and watching the bubbles float off - with delight. 

My mild age paranoia may also be slightly due to the fact that for the last 3 years I've been ox-headedly convincing myself (and fooling no one else) that I was still in my mid-twenties. 

I've tried to explain this shocked realisation to my friends, with varying response. Those younger than me shrug... because, it's not their problem. They're still in their mid-to-late twenties. When they get there, to where I'm standing, they'll be better prepared

The older friends, those in their early-to-mid thirties, are surprisingly chipper about the whole adventure on their side of the play-park. They're still pretty cool, and they're fun to hang out with, even if they've wed and bred and all that (not that that's an age thing, but anywho). 

In general, they seem to exude a "come on in, the water's GREAT!" attitude. 
And I don't trust them. 

So, I've decided I'm turning 29.95 and I'm sticking with that until further notice. 


*Amendment: it's just been pointed out that I am not in fact entering my third decade, but my fourth. Because apparently some people feel that I'm not having a big enough crisis as it is. I'm ignoring them. If I can stay in my twenties, I can stay in my third decade too.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Two things -

You are such a nerd for counting how many months old you are.

And, hate to break it to you, but you are entering your FOURTH decade!
You've already lived through three.